|Area||850m2 (9149 sq.ft.)|
Conceived as a home in three parts, ‘Daylesford 1863’ consists of a restored heritage home, a contemporary pavilion extension, and a linkway that invites us to stop and dwell.
The “Parsonage” building has been completely restored and renovated to accommodate 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a study, and a formal lounge. The new black steel hallway arch reflects the design philosophy – to celebrate the original structure but also clearly identify new interventions.
This approach extends to the south facade of the original structure where a poorly built 1990’s extension was demolished. Large black steel-framed openings mark the location of the previous renovations – creating a covered outdoor dining space within the original home. This design gesture not only helps to records the history of the site, it also helps connect the original structure to the landscape and frame views of the surrounding ‘churchscape’.
A new pavilion was added to the south boundary to create a private courtyard between the structures and access north light – a particularly important consideration for our clients in Daylesford’s notorious winters. Designed as a series of north-south orientated planes, the design of the pavilion seeks light without the expense of mass.
Linking the pavilion to the original house, a new hallway or ‘gallery’ invites us to stop and dwell rather than merely move through.